Anki Export / Import

I don’t know how to do Import to Anki on a Mac. This page really does not explain it well at all and I’ve seen other users having the same issue: https://extension.dioco.io/export.html It’s the main reason I subscribe to Pro so I hope someone from LR can explain it to me?

As far as I see the export contains a CSV and a Media folder. First question is, are these related and do they go together? If so how is that handled while importing?

There are a couple of lines about copy/pasting media into the Anki media folder, but that’s it. I’m not even sure of the point of the media (why and how do images and mp3 appear vs. simply text?)

If someone could point me to an easy-to-understand guide for this or a Youtube video I’d be very grateful. If it doesn’t exist i think LR should deprecate this feature as I consider myself a fairly tech-savvy person but this was beyond me.

Thank you in advance.

Hey, thank you for your message. I’m sorry you find it complicated. As we said before in other places, the import process is complicated because of how anki is designed, and not because of our software. The export on our side is litterally a “one-click” process, can’t be easier. But then to import through anki, it’s another story. We contacted the anki developper to try to make an easy export import tool with them, no positive answers :S .

So, here is a reformulation of the steps you have some troubles. I tried to explain more clearly what you didn’t understand.

Anki

How to export items to anki on mac OS X

1) Export the cards

• Go to the saved items tool : Language Reactor
  • The top right, click on the “EXPORT” button
  • If you want to include media, specify it in the switch “include media”
  • Click on export, the download will start automatically

2) Put the media in the good location

• After the download, double click on the .zip file to extract the data
  • Enter this folder
  • By holding the “option” keyboard button, open a new file tab by clicking on Go menu (top left bar) and on “Home” (shortcut is SHIFT + CMD + H). Holding the “option” keyboard button is necessary as it will allow you to see hidden folders (anki folders are hidden)
  • Go to Library folder, then Application support, and then Anki2
  • Here, you will see a folder for each of the users, open the folder with the name of your anki username
  • Open the collection.media folder
  • Drag and drop the medias files that were in the exported folder inside the collection.media folder

3) Do the anki metadata import

• Download anki (on the webpage) for mac
  • Open Anki
  • Start the import by referring the .CSV file that was generated by Language Reactor
  • Follow the rest of the tutorial here : Language Reactor <=========== REALLY IMPORTANT

Please tell me if you are still confuse :). And don’t forget to follow the last point of the step 3 that is :
Follow the rest of the tutorial here : Language Reactor

Hi @kirianguiller. Sorry for my long delay. To be clear I have no issue with the process being complicated due to Anki - I was just saying that the instructions for LR could be a lot clearer :slight_smile: These new instructions are clearer, but the process does not work. The exported file (without media, as I do not need this) is not readable by Anki. Please see this screen recording and let me know what to do, thank you: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

1 Like

Hello @kirianguiller I saw you caught the video. Any word about this one? Thanks!

Hi @kirianguiller as mentioned, I bought the Pro subscription specifically because of Anki functionality, so I would love to please know that it is working. If it doesn’t work, can we please arrange a refund? Either way it would be really appreciated if you could get back to me. Thank you.

p.s. It’s an amazing product - I just need Anki to work or it will not be as useful to me.

I just successfully did the Anki export today for Windows and the process was exactly as described on the LLR website. Maybe it’s a Mac Anki problem.

Now if only I could figure out Anki enough to change the Cloze card format to be usable, with Cloze audio only on the front and the translation and transcription on the back.

Are there any plans to add the native source audio as an export option? There’s another subscription program out there that does it, but I’m enjoying LLR more.

Would also love to know this and to hear back from the developer :slight_smile: Yes it probably is a problem relating to Mac. For the Cloze thing I’d recommend the Anki forum as they’re really responsive there.

This is absolutely not a Mac problem. I have a Windows and it’s showing Russian AND English on the front of the flashcard. I have no idea how to fix this and the developer needs to do something about it. Hire someone to make a video from Fiverr. Make one yourself. This is the reason why we’re paying. The service is useless if we can’t test ourselves

1 Like

Hello everyone, sorry for the late reply.

So, @Zachary_Gottlieb , I’ve checked the video, and it seems that your anki import settings are wrong.

Below is a screenshot of the help explanation we provide. Be sure to :

• Select the CLOZE card type
  • Select the Tab field seperator (and not Space !)
  • check the Allow HTML in fields

For these three settings, it was wrong in the video I saw

Can you try again and let me know if it words ? If not, please send again a video, or let’s arrange a screen sharing meeting :slight_smile:

Have a good day !

Yes, it now worked. The reason I didn’t have those settings active is because in the instructions you copy/pasted at the beginning it did not mention anything about these settings.

I know you’ve had your heads down coding, but this forum is not super active - for paying customers you should really check in more than once a month to be honest.

1 Like

Thank you for helping to fix it.

1 Like

Hi @Zachary_Gottlieb , I’m really glad it worked for you when you followed the instruction of the documentation :slight_smile: .

Have fun learning your target languages !

Yup. I’d really recommend making a Youtube video for it. It wouldn’t take long and others are obviously having difficulty as well judging by this thread.

hi. did you get the audio working?

Hi I had similar issues in the import process. I had two specific issues:

1. You say to " * Start the import by referring the .CSV file that was generated by Language Reactor" in your instructions, but you don’t say what to do with the other media folder, if anything.
  2. After importing the .CSV file both the English and Spanish are on the same side. I did the step where you choose “cloze,” “tab” and “html.” Is there another step in the process needed?

Update the thread if you’re still having problems and I’ll help you through - just a user here, but I’m pretty experienced with Anki.

Same goes for anyone else trying to export to Anki - happy to help anyone. The problems here are all easy fixes if you understand Anki a bit more

please help me as there is no audio
Version ⁨2.1.54 (b6a7760c)⁩
Python 3.9.7 Qt 5.15.2 PyQt 5.15.5

Audio is back for me, but now I have all the translations on the same side. I haven’t changed anything in the parameters…
Help !

I have fixed the audio by putting the media data manually in the folder:
C:\Users<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Anki2 \ \collection.media

Now I struggle with like Miltie with back/front/audio relations.

It would be great if you create video on YouTube. I have a lot of different little questions, I’m newbie in work with Anki. Thanks!
Regards, Edward, manager
of employee internet monitor

1 Like