IPA Transliteration for Thai

I’ve started using Language Reactor for just a few days and must say that I am hugely impressed! I wonder how I had never heard of this product before.

I love the look and feel of this application and all the features.

At the moment I am studying Thai (my 8th language), so that is what I have been focusing on, especially using Netflix, but also using some Youtube vidoes.

There is one thing that I have not been able to get working, and that is to use IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for the transcription, rather than the transcription which is currently available. This latter latinized transcription (RTG?) is somewhat unreliable, as it fails to capture the full phonemic inventory of Thai. It also does not display tone markers.

Is IPA available or is it a planned feature? I am a software engineer with over 25 years experience and could definitely pitch in to help with this feature if that can help speed up its introduction. I think this feature would also be very useful for other Thai learners. Thanks in Advance!

1 Like

This would not only benefit Thai learners but learners who have a passing knowledge of IPA symbols. I’d love to see IPA in the other languages I study too.