is it possible to delay the display of subtitle for 0.5 sec?

is it possible to delay the display of subtitle for 0.5 sec?

Hi Support, Recently, I’ve read a study about English learning. It mentions that English is a kind of “Listening” language. And the author recommend the learners to focus more on listening. I’m wondering if any coming feature in Pro version will provide this kind of service. I mean if the subtitle is showing up for 0.5 seconds delay, that would help learners concentrate on listening rather than looking for word by word in the coming subtitle. Please take it into the consideration in the future roadmap. Thanks,

5 Likes

I agree with Pin Yu with this function
It’s will be more focused for the learner while learning the new language by listening to it first the recheck the actual meaning with the subtitle later, I hope the team will consider it in the future
And thank you so much for the great learning app I’ve ever known

1 Like

I would LOVE to use this feature!

Another suggestion related to this would be to also allow delay the subtitles to disappear after (given no other subtitle should be shown). that would make it possible for beginner to spend more time looking at the words without having to pause it, especially in cases where they speak fast. So perhaps allow ± x.x seconds both before and after. Thanks

1 Like

It would be a great feature indeed.
I use delayed subtitles with VLC all the time and find it very useful (I teach French as a foreign language). 0.5 second is a tad too much I think, I usually go for 0.3, but that can be adjusted according to the learner skills and the type of movie.
It would be very useful to see this feature on Netflix as well. Any update?
And -Oh, I almost forgot - thank you for welcoming me, this is my first post!

1 Like

Hi,

If you are using Netflix’s official website to watch, you can use this chrome extension.

2 Likes

@Pin_Yu, is there any way you could share that study? That would be rad if you could.

Hi people,

Thanks for your suggestion, it seems easy to implement, we will think about how we would do if we want to implement it !

1 Like

If my search result is the same as I had done before, it should be from this linkage. And I quote the keynote below as well.

The results of this study show a significant relationship between students’ learning by English movie with delay subtitle related to their listening skills as shown in their improvement of post- test and positive responses of students than E nglish movie with not delay. The questionnaire shows that more than 75% students felt easy to understand listening materials from native speakers.

Using English Movie with Delay and Non Delay Subtitle to Improve Listening Skill
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342553825_Using_English_Movie_with_Delay_and_Non_Delay_Subtitle_to_Improve_Listening_Skill

1 Like

I’d like this feature too, just because sometimes some shows/films have their subtitles out of sync and it’s really annoying. Doesn’t it happen so often but… Would be great if we can change the delay.

Thanks!!! :slight_smile:

The way GlotDojo do it sees fine if you manage to make it stable

Thanks, @Pin_Yu. I now understand the rationale!

I’ve installed Netflix Subtitle Delay, @bhnmzm. By the way, welcome!

1 Like