Feature TODO List and roadmap

Here’s a list of features you suggested that we are planning to implement, we’ll check them off as we go…

Done

Top Priority

• Fix Filipino (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NLwmATSHbo) (Og)
  • Flashcard app. (Og)
  • Hold repeat key for infinite looping of subtitle. (David)
  • Show pauses in speach visually in Youtube autocaptions. (David)
  • Dragable subtitles (or other solution) so subs aren’t in the way. (Og)
  • Improve dictionary hover interaction with pause-on-hover behaviour. (David)
  • Bring back word frequency (with rare/particular/infrequent words for each movie/eipisode summary). (David/Og)
  • Adding simple stats for saved words, words known in movie, perhaps save temporal info about saving to make nice graphs.
  • Save screenshot with saved items.

Coming Soon

Considering

• Would love to click and drag to highlight phrases to save.
  • Allow a different language for dictionary vs. secondary subtitles (email from Joni)
  • ‘Named Entity Recognition’ for excluding certain words from word saving system (people’s names and place names etc.) Or another means (ignore list).
  • “There should be an ability/color to save complete phrases or “chunks”.” (snowman)
  • Nicer TTS voices.
  • Editable translations.
  • “I’ll suggest adding a similar overall ‘watch time’ tracking to the extension. Tracking all the videos you ever watched, of course, would also be an awesome feature.”
  • “Font size preference is currently a global setting, which means that I keep needing to switch it back and forth. It would be convenient to save a different font size preference, per different script, or per language, and to adjust the default values as well for each new script for optimal viewing.”

Known bugs/issues

• Seeking between subtitles doesn’t work well on Netflix on some machines (single core? windows 7?), as the Netflix player runs in a kind of ‘low resource mode’ that doesn’t allow precise video seeking. This is a couple of days of work to resolve.
  • LLY fails to load subtitles sometimes, 2-3% of loads maybe, needs attention.

Punctuation marks break color marking recognition. For example, “so…”, due to the 3 dots, it would think it’s a new word than “so” and thus you would have to recolor it. i have seen that on LLN but probably applies to LLY too. Please strip any punctuation from a word that is being saved (it saves them with the punctuation).

Another related issue, for LLN with “CC” marked subtitles, sometimes you can’t mark one of the words attached to a square bracket. For example: “[wind howling]”, either “wind” or “howling” would not be markable due to the square bracket (not always the case).

Esperanto

There isn’t enough space for some words to display fully, in the sidebar, at the bottom of the line. (Arabic)

[still compiling list…]

6 Likes

This thing would be great! Or video clips are even better!

4 Likes

This is the only thing holding me back from recommending this awesome extension to all of my friends, I can’t wait!

1 Like

Really hoping this comes soon!

Changing default shortcuts would be great

Hi there.

I am wondering about Microsoft Edge browser support. Fact is Netflix provides 1080p resolution only to Edge bowser.
Are you considering this matter for your futher plans?

I would love to being able to import subtitles when using the extension.
E.g. when watching Japanese shows, they most of the time don’t offer english subtitles (even though the show has english subtitles in other countries’ Netflix)
In this case it would be great to import your own subtitles (or even better get the “human subtitles” from other countries netflix directly)
Because when learning the language the machine translation is better than nothing, but still far from being useful, especially with Japanese.

Can you add an option to control the font sizes of each language individually?
I’m trying to learn Chinese, and I’d like to reduce the size of the English subtitles so they don’t become too distracting (but I still want them there).