Netflix Italian Audio and Italian subtitles do not match

I am learning Italian. When I watch Netflix with Italian Audio and Italian subtitles they do not match. Example could be that a person says “Excuse me”, the Italian audio will be “Mi scusi” and the subtitles “Perdonami”. One can argue that the semantic is close but this is disturbing and why the audio and subtitles are like two different translations?

Yeah this happens a lot on Netflix, don’t know if it’s exclusively them. It’s not LLN’s fault though, they don’t provide the subtitles. Check whether you can put the CC subtitles rather than the regular subtitles. Otherwise, I think you’re out of luck. It’s just Netflix not cleaning up their own subtitles.

Recommend to watch movies in their original languages (search in the catalogue by language: https://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/catalogue.html). Even still, some movies don’t have 100% matching subs. :-/

Here’s a few solutions you could try and how I use LLN at different times.

Watch a native Italian program with the original language and original [CC] subtitle version. Then enable the machine translation and show human translation in your native language. This usually nails it. It gives you the original language audio matched by (almost) original subs and two different translations for you to look at. The machine translation will mostly give you word for word. The human translation will give you word for word and always idiomatic meanings.

If you want to watch another foreign language program, eg a Japanese. You could select the audio to be in Italian, select the subs to be Italian and the machine translation and human translation to be in your native language. This is pretty good and works pretty well most of the time.

A third option when selecting a foreign program, say again Japanese. Select Italian audio, Select Japanese [CC] subs and again machine translation to either your own language or if you are a bit more advanced, to Italian.

Really, these are just some of the most common ways that I use LLN. You can play around with it a bit and figure out what works for you. If anyone else has any other methods I’d love to hear them too.

Anyway, just to add, an import/export subs feature would be a real game changer for me.