Phrase Pump Learned Words

I’ve been using phrase pump for a month. Even though I use it on a daily basis, I find that it’s very slow to add new words from my saved words. I also thought it would mark words as learned after a certain amount of repetitions to make space for more new words, but now I am not sure this will happen automatically. Do I have to manually mark words as learned when I feel like I have actually truly learned them in phrase pump? or will they eventually get marked as learned after more repetitions?

1 Like

I have the same questions.

Hello everyone!
Phrase Pump’s algorithm tracks your repetitions over time, and once it estimates you’re likely to remember a word for at least six weeks, it moves it to your “Learned” list to make room for new words. So no, you don’t need to manually mark them - this happens based on your review performance and spaced repetition intervals, not on a fixed number of reps.
The number of words you’ve already learned is displayed on the main screen in the PhrasePump section, in the “Learned” block.
If you truly believe you’ve learned a word, you can always mark it as Mark as Known in the Saved Words section

Hello!

Thank you for the explanation! That makes the system much clearer.

I have one follow-up question. I started using PhrasePump on June 12, and today is August 8, so I have been using it for almost 8 weeks. I have used it every day except June 14.

My current statistics are:

  • Marked for learning: 433
  • Currently learning: 26
  • Learned: 0

I understand that a word is moved to the “Learned” list when the algorithm estimates that I’m likely to remember it for at least six weeks, based on my review performance and spaced-repetition intervals.

So, does the six-week period start from the first time I review a particular word, rather than from the date I started using PhrasePump?

I’m asking because I have been using PhrasePump almost every day for nearly eight weeks, but I still have no words in the “Learned” list. Is this expected, or should I already have some words marked as Learned by now?

I’m also attaching a screenshot of my activity statistics for PhrasePump to show my study history.

Thanks!

@Oro, thank you for your details!
I’m not sure what criteria are currently used to automatically mark words as learned, since I see that PhrasePump now only has “Listening Practice” (there were recent updates), and perhaps the logic for marking words has changed. I’ll look into this. Previously, the duration was calculated separately for each word.
For now, as a workaround, you can quickly mark a word as “Learned” during practice by clicking on the word in the lower-right corner and then clicking the green checkmark.
Thanks!
image

1 Like

@Yana Thank you! I appreciate you looking into this. I’ll wait for your update. I’d be very interested to know how the current version of PhrasePump determines when a word is considered learned.