African languages

Hi team,

Love using LR! So much potential all round. I also like the broad selection of languages, but would love a few of the main African languages of trade on there e.g. Swahili, Akan Twi, Bambara etc.

Any plans on adding new langs and creating a wishlist? I appreciate the work involved and recognise that the latter could get out of hand pretty quickly, but looking forward to something like this in future.

Cheers!

nobody cares about those languages, it is unlikely to be added

1 Like

Are you sure nobody cares about learning some of the most spoken languages in the world…or are you just Anti-African?

Hey Team,

Building on the original post, I noticed that while there is a good selection of European and Asian languages, there aren’t any indigenous African languages included. It would be fantastic if Swahili could be added to Language Reactor, especially for watching content on platforms like Netflix.

Swahili is spoken by over 16 million native speakers and over 82 million people in total across several countries in East Africa, making it one of the most widely spoken languages on the continent. In comparison, there are some niche European languages supported on the platform with far fewer speakers. For example, Hungarian has about 13 million speakers, and Finnish has around 5.5 million speakers. While these languages are rich in culture and deserve representation, the fact that they are supported despite having smaller speaker populations suggests that total numbers of speakers can’t possibly be the sole factor for inclusion on the platform.

Including Swahili would not only provide access to a broader audience but also support a significant cultural and linguistic community that is often underrepresented in global media platforms. Moreover, Swahili is a key language in the African Union and is widely used in regional communication and media, which further underscores its importance and relevance.

I believe adding Swahili and other major African languages would be a valuable addition and align with Language Reactor’s mission of providing comprehensive language learning tools. Thank you for considering this request!

Cheers!