Learning Japanese means anime for 99% of the learners. Although Netflix offers a few choices, it’s most often the case the Sub doesn’t match the audio. Crunchyroll offers a huge catalog of animes with subtitles. Any plan to integrate Language Reactor to Crunchyroll or any other anime platform?
From my understanding, Crunchyroll handles subtitles differently, likely due to legal or licensing reasons. Instead of using SRT files, they embed the subtitles directly into the video. This results in separate videos for each translation language, at least that was the case when I last checked. Consequently, supporting Crunchyroll might be more challenging for the time being.
Hello Andrea! As a person who’s been learning Japaneese for a while I just wanted to share some movies I love to watch over again when I get bored watching anime though
Spirited Away (2001) - Fantasy/Adventure
Akira (1988) - Sci-Fi/Action
Your Name (2016) - Anime/Romance
Seven Samurai (1954) - Historical/Drama
Battle Royale (2000) - Thriller/Action
Rashomon (1950) - Mystery/Drama
Departures (2008) - Drama
Shoplifters (2018) - Drama
Princess Mononoke (1997) - Anime/Fantasy
Hope you’ll enjoy some of them! Let me know what you think
The majority of Crunchyroll’s catalogue does not use “burned-in” subtitles. This means the subtitles can be changed or disabled because the text is a separate file from the video (I believe Chrunchyroll uses the .ass filetype). There are some videos on Crunchyroll that are “burned-in”, but they are a minority.
I kind of wonder if this app is still being developed. If it is, please consider adding Crunchyroll support. Japanese learners around the world will rejoice. You’ll need to add the AI subtitle feature like for Netflix when you want to study using a dubbed video. Crunchyroll doesn’t include Japanese subs that I’ve seen although I’ve heard rumors there are a couple titles with Japanese subs.
Same boat. I mostly study off anime and LR still doesn’t hit Crunchyroll. I’ve been using AnimeVocab (Chrome) for Netflix / Crunchyroll / YouTube with romaji-first lookups so I’m not stuck pausing every line: https://animevocab.com
Not affiliated with LR; just sharing in case it helps while CR support is still missing. Happy to take feedback if anything’s broken on CR titles.
While waiting for official Crunchyroll support in Language Reactor, another great option for anime on Crunchyroll (or Japanese YouTube streams and variety shows) is using a hover OCR extension.
I ran into this exact issue while studying Japanese through anime and raw video clips. Since Crunchyroll and YouTube often use hardcoded subtitles or non-selectable canvas layers that standard extensions can’t read, I started using YuzuLingo.
It’s a free browser extension (on Chrome and Firefox) that runs local OCR directly over the video player frame. You can hover over any Japanese subtitle or on-screen kanji to instantly get dictionary definitions, furigana, and pitch accent readings without needing soft CC tracks or breaking your watching flow.