Along a similar vain, I was thinking about the comment that David_Wilkinson made on this post: Word Highlighting / Suggested Words Based on Word Frequency:
[…] Also thinking about moving saved word highlighting into colored underlines to make the text less ‘rainbow.’
Because I can see this potential issue in adding more colors for parts of speech making the text more “rainbow.” (Or it at least see it come up as a counterpoint.)
Here is why I still think this is an excellent feature request, and I would actually recommend (if possible) more of a “color palate” style (to allow for more than 6 more colored tags suggested by j_bi) consideration for this feature:
[…] this allows the text to be analysed in terms of Function of Word. Using colour to differentiate these word functions is particularly useful for language learning students, and notably in use by Montessori schools for children, and also as an aid for learners with difficulties (such as Dyslexia). — Christopher_Adams, Part of Speech - Add Identifier in Subtitles Export
Everyone’s eyes respond to certain colors differently. Sometimes, one color is hard to read/recognize quickly (especially as an underline, as tags are formatted) over another color.
Not every LR user will use every color; if the feature is done well (toggle on/off or check/uncheck), they can customize it according to their needs without overwhelming their own eyes with colors.
LR Users will be able to categorize more than 4 (/more if done by adding 6 more tag colors or using a more “color palate” approach) to tag a wider and more customizable range of categories for their learning. For example, verbs, adjectives, animals, foods, activities, etc.
If developers worry about users having too many colors on their subtitles, that could be simplified by users by having a toggle on/off for the user to determine what tags they wish to view in a viewing/learning session.
Additionally, I would suggest using more colors for underlines (a.k.a. tags) (over more colors for coloring in the entire word) to avoid more of a rainbow/someone took a highlighter to every word in the text look.
However, I would throw out there that a “color palette” experience for both the tags (which end up as underlines) and the main text highlighting (which changes the color of the whole word) would benefit the users of LR for the reasons that:
- Everyone’s eyes respond to certain colors differently. Sometimes, one color is hard to read quickly over another color.
- Sometimes, certain colors just draw the eye to a word more easily/quickly than the basic (Green, Orange, Purple) colors available for coloring in the whole word.
(Although I totally understand how this could get “out of hand” for users who have too many categories in colors; however, users could simplify that for themselves by having a toggle on/off for the user to determine what tags they wish to view in a viewing/learning session).
On the other hand, if adding extra tags and colors is still not appealing, then perhaps adding a word tagging feature that shows up in your saved words/phrases lists where a word tag functions to group words might seem more appealing/functional to the developers?
The LR user can customize these based on their needs, whether grouped by grammar point, show/source, or any other category.
Related discussion/feature request: I want to categorize my words in LR Saved Items.
- I plan on making a few feature requests (related to similar topics/ideas I have), but as a new user, I feel like it would be fairer to get more familiar with LR, the forum, and existing posts and requests before I start adding new request posts under the “Request” category.
- I tried to search the forum and consult related posts to make sure I was explaining things well and referring to related threads.
- Please let me know if you found any additional/related threads that might help round out the discussion on the possibility of adding 6 more tags.
- I will edit this if I think of anything else to make the discussion more “robust.”
Thanks for taking the time to read/skim!
P.S. Working List of Discussions/Comments Related to These Ideas:
Hex value: inputting a specific color code to change the color of a tag/word