Pinyin support for Chinese (Mandarin) subtitles?

That’s great, it was Day and Night aka 白夜追凶, I’m pretty sure that was episode 3 https://www.netflix.com/title/80222788

Thanks!

Hi there. Really enjoying the app, which I just discovered and was great enough to make me sign up to Netflix again :slight_smile: I’d also love to have Pinyin support!

In case you were considering implementing it in-browser, it looks like there are some convenient NPM packages for it such as chinese-to-pinyin.

1 Like

I’m learning mandarin would like this pinyin feature, too. For now, I try listen to the voice.

1 Like

I did some experimenting with the translation API we use… no… there’s no quick easy fix here, I’m sorry to say. :-/

Adding pinyin support to the TODO list thread.

1 Like

I’m also highly interested in Mandarin subtitles. I obviously don’t know how your app works, but I don’t think it’s an issue the translation API should solve. As fwouts mentioned before, you could use a Javascript module to get from the Chinese translation to Pinyin. For example, the first result from google https://www.npmjs.com/package/chinese-to-pinyin enables you to do: pinyin(“今天天气真好”) returns “jīn tiān tiān qì zhēn hǎo”. I’d be happy to help to make this work.

1 Like

Another person here who’d love to have pinyin feature on this.

1 Like

I just discovered LLN yesterday and it was perfect for my Taiwanese GF and I to watch Narcos together with both English and Chinese subtitles. Thank you!!! +1 for pinyin support!! I could see this tool becoming extremely popular with Chinese language learners and the crowd over at r/ChineseLanguage.

1 Like

On a similar subject, I’d like to know what hsk level a word I’ve selected is. I’m HSK 5 and it would be nice to know if a word is 5/6 leveled (or god forbid 4 and I haven’t learned it :stuck_out_tongue:) or if it’s just super high leveled and therefore not worth my study at this time.

1 Like

I found a workaround until this is implemented in the addon. See this gist on github: https://gist.github.com/klausondrag/6bf80ec882019260de1e498bc7516d08

Just discovered this app and it is almost exactly what I need to learn Mandarin… almost.
Just get that Pinyin support working and you will have a new monthly subscriber for many years.

Would also love PInyin! This has been super helpful so far thank you!
If Pinyin on here too, I think I’ll be able to achieve my learning goal much easier.

also would love pinyin!!! ive been copying and pasting everything into google translate to get pinyin but it takes like 10x longer than it could w added pinyin</3

Hey guys. Thanks for being patient. The Youtube extension is faily stable now, so I’m switching to working on improving the linguistics processing code… pinyin… and some other cool stuff (word frequencies, maybe transliteration of other scripts, recognising phrasal verbs and compound nouns etc.).

See: Feature TODO List and roadmap

2 Likes

Pinyin support would be a massive game changer for learning mandarin with LLN - following for updates

1 Like

Hi there! I love your extension and product, I just want to extend my enthusiasm for pinyin that would be kinda essential for most mandarin chinese learners like myself! I’m excited and I’ll wait the good news haha! Good luck!

Hey. is coded up, Og is just finishing the front-end code. Will deploy to Youtube (LLY) tomorrow most likely. We might have introduced a bug into LLN, so, will test some more, but that should follow soon too.

Long suffering Chinese learners: It’s online. Sorry it took so long :disappointed_relieved:

Refresh your Youtube/Netflix page a couple of times. We don’t speak Chinese so please let us know if there’s something not right.

1 Like

How do I turn the pinyin off?

Thanks for adding this! I’d already noticed it on YouTube, but a few refreshes got it working on Netflix too.

My feedback is that this will generally be a huge huge help and makes LLN/LLY a lot more useful for Chinese learners, but that there absolutely needs to be the option to turn it off, and greater control of how and when it appears.

There are stages in learning where you’re trying to learn the characters without pinyin. At this point you should only be looking up the pinyin if you want to check that you remembered correctly, or see what the tones are.

I think for a significant portion of Chinese learners, they’re only going to want the pinyin to appear on hover or click in the definition that appears - and I’ve reloaded several times and it still doesn’t seem to be there yet. Is this feature planned?

I’m not quite at the level where I only want pinyin in the definition modals, I would like to keep the pinyin on screen, but I’m finding that putting pinyin at the top means that I’m not actually reading the characters, which I’m pretty good at doing for a few hundred of the most common characters. I think an option to put the pinyin below the characters would cause me to read the characters first, then glance down at the pinyin only if I need it, aiding my learning.

Ultimately my goal is to be able to read books, signs and subtitles, none of which would provide the pinyin, so there’s a point at which it would be limiting how much I’m learning by having the pinyin ‘training wheels’ always on screen.

Similarly, I think that pinyin should be blurred out when ‘hide translations’ is on. Ideally this functionality would have more granular control and there’d be a third option ‘hide pronounciation’ that would also apply to similar additions in Japanese.