Arabic dialect subtitles

Most movies on Netflix have subtitles that are in modern standard arabic, and not the actual dialect the speakers are using. There are entire shows where the written words do not match what is being spoken. It’s so frustrating!! It makes this tool basically unusable for arabic. The few options on Netflix that does have subtitles in the correct dialect are not in the reactor library. For example, the Adel Karam comedy special. Could this tool prioritize content that has proper dialect subtitles so we can use it?

3 Likes

I totally agree!

I am yet to find any movies with dialect subs (interesting that Adel Karam has them… I wonder why this is). Most of the streaming platforms don’t even let you search by a specific dialect and or MSA depending on your preference, though country searchs are similar enough. This is good tool (https://unogs.com/) for finding specific shows and movies by country, cos both the Netflix and Shahid interfaces are amusingly bad here. Not sure the programmers get the diaglosia and dialect issue or care. And Disney’s provision isn’t great either for dialect.

Another thing it would be nice to have is decent dialect based dubbing for popular cartoons and/or anime. But again there cultural reasons this has not taken off (and its beyond this software). Arabic dialect learners seeking Arabic dialect subs and dubbing are a niche within a niche and I doubt this will change any time soon for dubbing in particular. See here for a why: A Potential Untapped? Why Dubbing Has Not Caught on in the Arab World - Arab Media & Society.

FYI: Twitch does not even have a Arabic (MSA) interface! So problems in the Arabic lang/internet work abound!

Yes, definitely need this. I noticed Arabic (Lebanon) Original in the subtitle list for the show Dollar, but you have to pay for Pro to get it. Anyone knows if it actually matches what they’re saying? Adel Karam is in this show.

I paid for a month of Pro so I could see it. Unfortunately, Arabic (Lebanon) Original subtitles does NOT match Arabic (Lebanon) Original audio. :angry: