Viki plug-in?

Any plans for working with Rakuten Viki.com? Unfortunately, I like very little of the Japanese content on Netflix, not to mention that only a percentage of it is usable, presumably due to lack of Japanese subtitles. Viki has much more stuff I like, and generally the audio is better and the dialog is spoken more clearly than the live action Japanese videos I’ve tried to watch on Netflix. Maybe work with Viki.com developers? They have their “Learn Mode”, where you can get multi-language subtitles and click on words, but it only seems to be available for a few of the older dramas, and they don’t seem to be doing any development or support of it. I think it was developed by an intern. Though pretty amazing work for one person, it doesn’t compare to LanguageReactor in features and quality, especially lacking the saved lists and export features.

Addendum: It had been a long time since I used the Viki “Learn Mode”, but I just tried it again and it does seem that they’ve made some changes, and it works on a recent drama, but it seems clicking on words is gone. However, I discovered the Rikaikun plug-in works on the subtitles, so that’s actually an improvement on what they had.

5 Likes

Good idea, Do not have any plans to work with Viki at the moment, but might do in the future. (Still working on our extension development)

2 Likes

It looks like Viki is getting rid of their “Learn Mode” definitely some opportunity here for LR:

Sunsetting of Learn Mode Feature

The Learn Mode feature was designed to assist users in acquiring new language skills while watching videos. However, after careful consideration and analyzing your feedback, we have decided to discontinue this feature to focus our efforts on enhancing other aspects of our platform.

The Learn Mode feature will be removed from service starting on July 31, 2023. After this date, it will no longer be accessible within our app and on our website.

We appreciate your understanding as we strive to improve our platform and deliver a better experience for all users.

Source: https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/17924295071251

And LingQ stopped being able to import from their two years ago:

Unfortunately, due to changes on the Viki, we can no longer support importing from that source. Nothing we can do to make it work. Hopefully we will be able to import from there again in future.

— Sept '21

Feature request similar to this post:

Any interest for LR to look into this? I’d pay a good price to get this along with a native iOS app.

Hi @s1212z,

I’m not sure. It doesn’t seem like they’re ready to branch out from YouTube,Netflix, and their file player, yet.

If your looking for something for Viki, I’ve been using Rooster Viki Tools for LingQ to get my Viki content while learning “fix”.

I’d check it out in the meantime.

Note: Full disclosure I do write user guides for Rooster and suggest improvements to the developers extensions when I think of ideas. But, I genuinely think it’s great. (It’s the big reason why I work with the developer. I started off as a fan of Rooster Extensions first).

I hope this helps!

1 Like