Improved Anki support

Hi,

I wanted to make sure that people who are interested in Anki SRS flash cards were aware of the discussion that branched off from another topic here:

I only stumbled across that because I was reading all the new posts in the currently relatively small forum and noticed the topic pivoting.

To reiterate what I said before, I would love to have functionality similar to subs2src - http://subs2srs.sourceforge.net/

It would be a ‘god level feature’ if I could use LLN to make or add to an Anki deck of flashcards for each starred/saved subtitle line with subs2srs level of quality from Netflix content.

Especially if it was configurable enough to allow multiple fields on either side of the card, arranged as the user chooses.

For example, for my needs, I’d have each card front include the episode or movie title, the audio clip, a still frame capture and the Chinese/target language subtitles (and, once support is added, the pinyin). Then I’ve want both the human and machine translations on the back.

Every user will have different requirements, so flexibility of configuration is important here, I think.

And again, huge huge thanks for this amazing learning tool. I’ve been very impressed to see suggestions made on the forums implemented almost immediately in the user interface. Very happy to pay for the premium service!

Nat.

7 Likes

I’ve just realised that this somehow got posted without a category so isn’t showing up in the In English forum.

I also can’t see any way to edit my own post to fix this.

Are you able to fix this for me @lln?

2 Likes

Thanks, @David_Wilkinson!

I didn’t even realize there was feature for anki export, let alone the need to make any improvements. This is awesome!

What would even be better than a screenshot would be audio grab. I imagine there are legal issues with that, but it would be the best!

2 Likes

I agree. God-Tier, this would be.

1 Like

Seems like audio grab for Anki export is ‘on the todo list’!

I’d imagine exporting short audio clips for personal educational use would be a reasonable argument for ‘fair use’.

Hi. Sorry, was busy with Youtube version. Small update… we added a CSV export with more fields (for import into Anki or a spreadsheet), and also a JSON export (for programmers). This code is actually in the Youtube extension that is coming online shortly, and we’ll push it to the Netflix extension soon (currently trying to debug an issue).

Audio clips for flashcards is on the todo list… hope Netflix don’t mind :grimacing:… as is a simple flashcard app that syncs saved items automatically.

4 Likes

This would indeed be my #1 request, making Anki cards that have audio and an image. That way we can practice recognizing the word by listening in context.

Thank you very much for suggesting this!

3 Likes

Hi all ! I switched to the pro vesion but still cannot figure out how to do a csv or anki export on netflix (or maybe is it still in development process?) ? Anyone could help? thanks a lot!

Hi. If you are logged in, check this button: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much ! and thanks for the great app that definitely gives a great kick to learning motivation ! can’t wait to have pinyin integrated in the features!

I don’t have this list sir
van you please help me

I went off topic elsewhere and talked about Anki features, thought I should provide a bookmark here:

I believe this is a Pro feature, are you a subscriber?

Audio grab for the Anki flashcard would be a very good reason for me to pay for the pro version.
For the time being I use Audacity to record it manually…

Is there any more detail on how to import to Anki? The “Export to Anki” works but for me the information is not loaded onto the Anki cards correctly (front and back info jumbled), and there are lots of what I think are HTML marks.

1 Like

We’re simply advised to select the allow HTML option when importing so that we end up with Anki cards with only ‘front’ and ‘back’ fields included that have all the details composed together as HTML blocks that can’t be reconfigured in Anki.

As reported elsewhere, what we actually need is a CSV/TSV export that puts everything into its own columns so we can then use Anki’s powerful tools to layout our own cards as we wish. Then we could, for example, decide whether we want to have the show and episode title on the card, how it should be formatted and whether it should be on the front or back, etc. And we’d have the option to create multiple types of cards in the same deck that each include different combinations of fields with different types of formatting.

1 Like

I got the trial to check out the Anki support but it’s basically unusable. Quicker to just copy and paste myself rather than mess around getting the formatting right.

If Anki had a JSON importer where we could map the JSON fields to our custom note type fields then that would be ideal. You can kind of do this with the importer as it is, if you choose field 5 for the expression and field 11 for the meaning. It still looks bad though, and if there is a comma in either field then you’re stuffed.

I will be manually creating the cards for the forseeable future, it seems. Don’t get me wrong though, the addon is a great tool.

It’s a bit more work but you could export to JSON and convert the JSON to CSV. That way you can create a field for whatever info you want. I made fields for everything so that import is quicker and I have all the available data immediately. You will want to make sure the first field on the note is something other than source though, something unique to each note.

Just a note that Anki has a built-in card type for making fill-in-the-blanks cards. Using that would be a neater solution and would make the file exported from LLWN a lot cleaner. The card type is “Cloze Deletion”. Here is a link to the documentation.