Update! Learning Stages, Flashcards, All Words Panel, PhrasePump, API..

Very good, when they officially update in the original version?

Looks awesome! Integrated flashcards are so handy.

Feature / support request:
Is there a way to change the source for the definitions used for the “hover-over” dictionary? At least in Spanish, a lot of the definitions are pretty bad or sometimes just wrong.

1 Like

Looks very promising and interesting. I’m not clear on how LR determines which words are known vs which words are not known. Is it based only on what I identify in the vocabulary list (by scrolling)?

Looks very promising and interesting. I’m not exactly clear on how LR determines which words are known vs which words are not known. Is it based only on what I what I select in the “approximate vocabulary size”? I’m wondering what happens if I know 99% of the words within the first 2000 words of my target language. If I indicate the first 2000 words as my “approximate vocabulary size”, what will be the status of the 1% of the words that I don’t actually know? Will they appear as known words (i.e., in green)?

current LR and the new update also work for Korean. Can you give more details why you say it doesn’t ? Thanks !

To determine your study level, we first ask you to select, in a list of words ranked by frequency, where is your known limit.

Once we have this, all the words below this limit (i.e. more frequent) will be considered as KNOWN, except if you manually mark them as UNKNOWN or LEARNING.

As you can manually mark words as known/unknown/learning, you have the flexibility to “correct” our basic known level logic. The purpose of this known-level-logic is to save you a lot of time.
For instance, if you know around 2000 words, It’s faster for you to set your level to 2000 and “unmarked” some words that you don’t know, than to have to mark all these 2000 words.

1 Like

Thank you for your support !

We also noticed the bad hover dictionary behavior for spanish (and some other languages). We are already working on it to correct this asap !

Thanks

2 Likes

We also think the flashcard feature is the most important for mobile, and it will be the one we will prioritize our efforts !!

Thank you for your comments :slight_smile:

Thank you @bitter for all these suggestions. We will add the custom definition in a week or so ! As well as clicking on the word title in the flashcard for listening to the pronunciation !

I didnt understand fully the flashcard card type you suggest. Do you want a front card with the target language (russian) word/sentence + audio , and a back card with the translation in your native language (for instance english) ?

Thanks !

1 Like

How about you please fix the login so I can use what I’m paying for?

ebase: This browser is not supported or 3rd party cookies and data may be disabled. (auth/web-storage-unsupported).

I’ve tried the settings add site , it didn’t work even after removing cookies.

github has a few suggestions. Please check there.

EDIT: added again to settings , went back to sign in , and this time reactor gave me a message to allow cookies (which I already did). I reloaded the reactor by clicking on the extension in the address bar and was allowed to sign in .

Please help.

I can’t wait to try it all out though I realize there will be lots of things to work out.

One of the reasons I’ve continued to invest (i.e., subscribe!) Is hoping you’d develop a workable flashcard solution! I’ve seen a steady and dedicated development process so will continue to support :blush:

1 Like

Hi !

I would like to say I enjoy the app very much learning japanese and thai, and find it so simple and powerful.
This new version is full of good ideas! And on another aspect, as J_M3 mentionned earlier, I also worry a little as I developped a color coding on my own as well. I use it for a while now and find it quite powerful, so I am afraid this will be much harder to use it efficiently, as I can definitly not see clearly the tag color with only the thin underlining.

Therefore, if it is possible, may I suggest to make a much thicker underlining. Anyway, people not using it can discard it in the options if they don’t use, so no noise for them.
Another possibility which came up to my mind and get rid of the underlining thing, would be to be able to switch between the new “green/orange” mode and the old mode, let’s call it “customized mode” :

• the “new mode” for users willing to have an all-in-one “automatic” experience with the embedded flashcards, etc.
  • the “customized mode” for users that like to keep the control and use colors to their liking and learning specificities.

BTW, maybe it is what you meant with the option “Show tags in text”, or does this option only show tags as underline?

I don’t know if it will be of any help, just in case, I am sharing my color system principle, which basically has a convergent philosophy with the new version, but with slightly more “nuances” in colors which I find very useful in my personal use. Maybe some ideas can be picked up here for future update…

• GREEN: trivial words (for examples words like “I, you, it, what”, “be, have, get” , Names, …)
  • RED: Well-known words, that I want to understand perfectly but also that I want to be able to use naturally without any hesitation or mistake (i.e., “Active phase” words)
  • YELLOW: Recently learned words, which I have to work on (ultimately, I want them to become RED one day). The yellow is very vivid, and these words are easy to spot.
  • BLUE: Words which are not so common, that I may not need to use myself but that I need at least to understand, for example, words from the news, technical words, very bad words, very formal words, etc… (i.e “Passive phase” words).

Also note that this Coloring principle is coupled with my ANKI deck philosophy:

• RED, YELLOW words are revised with either “theme / version” sentences Notes, or very detailed Vocab Notes (with as much as possible audio extracts from my inputs).
  • BLUE words are in a separate deck, with just simple note extracted from dictionnary without any audio and quite “relaxed” deck parameters (for example the note maximum interval is only 600 days for the BLUE words, as it is 200 days for the notes with RED & YELLOW words).

This way,

• Remaining WHITE words (which I can spot easily!): they are words I need to investigate (it is a new word to me, or if not, something “fell through the net” and I may need to color it / add it in my ANKI decks…),.
  • Remaining PURPLE words: I don’t need to investigate on it as being above my level (unless for some reasons it is of special interest to me).

Here printscreens showing you how it looks:

Also, when some new word or unclear idiom needs further investigation in one sentence, I click on the Star so as to make the investigation later, after I finish the episode. So, the ”saved sentences” Tab is only used as an “Inbox” which I need to clear.

The other interest of this colour coding is when using the tab “Words” (cf. printscreen) for one movie or episode:

• I can assess at once its degree of difficulty, seeing each percentage
  • I can work easily on the new words (i.e. WHITE words), for example say: “on this episode, I want to check and investigate on all level 3 & level 4 words which are still in WHITE”.
  • I can make a dedicated seance of revision (especially of the YELLOW and BLUE words in my case) based on the episode.

BTW does this “Words” tab will remains more or less as it is now with the new update?

Thanks and Best Regards.

2 Likes

Super excited about this update! Love the new flashcards feature, and PhrasePump looks very powerful as well. As a fellow dev I’m impressed with how much you’ve been able to build with such a small team. Sorry to see there’s a minority of vocal customers complaining about things on this forum — just know that most of us are very happy with language reactor, there’s nothing else available right now that comes even close.

5 Likes

Really loving the news features! So glad I subscribed to the Pro version and this new update is a reaffirmation that I will continue to subscribe to such an awesome language learning product. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Hi Asane. :slight_smile: Regarding 4th and 5th colours. The new system has a couple of nuances. The orange colour is for all words that you should be generally paying attention to (osmosis zone). Words which you are actively learning in the flashcards (~Yellow in your arrangement) additionally have a solid outline. You can also mark any word (even if it’s already orange) as ‘Marked to Learn’, which, prioritises it in the flashcard queue over other suggestions, and it shows with a dashed outline (until it enters the active flashcard pool and shows with a solid outline)… it would be fine to use this for words that you know better than other orange words (something like your red colour).

Currently the flashcard algorithm adds words to the study pool by first taking all the ‘Marked to Learn’ (queued) words first, then falls back to suggestions (most frequent words that you don’t know). We plan to add a mode shortly (could do it today) that selects appropriately between the two categories… taking ‘Marked to Learn’ words first, as long as they are not too infrequent (still in the orange colour range). This would mean you could mark a word as ‘Marked to Learn’ when you start to recognise it in context, but it wouldn’t be jammed straight to the front of the flashcard queue, but would show as soon as it can justified to learn intensively.

I don’t say this is a complete analogue to your current arrangement, I’m just trying to show what is possible in the new system. Have a play with it, interested to hear any further thoughts. The new word colouring system, for better or worse, does not prioritise the question ‘should I understand these words’, but ‘should I pay attention to these words.’

We’re trying to balance offering a ready-to-use workflow for new users, while offering enough flexibility to not interfere too much with anyones existing systems/worklow. Some questions are quite difficult.

2 Likes

Yeah the vocabulary highlighting doesn’t work for Korean but maybe I don’t understand it fully

Noted. Are you using the Language Reactor site with the extension installed? Autopause is problematic for TurtleTV in that case, but it’s hard to fix. Ah, like, a pause for 2s then continue? We considered it a couple of times, also requested was to pause at the beginning of subs. Also infinite loop feature. The difficulty is in making a UI that isn’t overwhelming, and that playback control code is pretty scary, I prefer not to touch it when it’s working. :grin: I’ll keep it in mind when I get time to look at that code again.

2 Likes

Hmm, didn’t remove anything on purpose… Netflix made a change ago a while ago that meant our hack to ‘show all possible subtitles’ (often 20+ langauges) stopped working, but as far as I know it’s working again now. Who knows… maybe they got complaints and took notice. If Chinese subs were available but pinyin wasn’t working, that sounds like a problem on our end. Can you post some links to Netflix movies you had problems with? We’ll check them. Also, make sure your using our extension (installed from the link on languagereactor.com), not a copy cat one. :grin:

1 Like

Korean, it’s a little tricky, we didn’t have time to look at the issue in detail.
Infinite repeat, we had in for a while on the ‘s’ key, they changed the functionaity. I’ll keep it in mind.
Entire caption colour… there’s probably less of a need with the new automatic colouring system, I haven’t considered it actually.
Yeah, I can add an extra mode for the blurring (translation first, then source).

1 Like