Youtube Extension - Now Online!

I increased the limit for the number of items. That should be fixed now. Please let us know if it works OK.

It sure does! Thanks a lot. I’m as happy as Larry. :blush:

Custom user’s dictionaries are a global setting at the moment, while they should be made a language specific setting. Not all dictionaries online are multilingual dictionaries.

Edit: A button for disabling the auto-scroll in the side panel, temporarily, can be useful. You sometime look ahead in the transcript and it pulls you out of position.

Edit: This sometimes happens (the white part). You can color it in a different color in this example.

Edit: Right mouse button currently toggles between yellow, green and white, which is quite useful, but I wish there would be a setting, which you could switch to, that would allow you to include the blue color as well. Like a 2 modes setting.

Edit: The white word is unmarkable due to the punctuation marks.

Edit: DeepL is a competitor of Google Translate, which some people say that it gives better results. Might be worth checking it out and adding support for it as an alternative option.

Notice here the word “coníferas” in two different colors.

From this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNpJmoAWnFI

Another example from the same video with the word “porte”:

Again with the word “cedo” (same video)

“churrasqueira”

I checked the example with ‘porte’. One example is correctly recognised as a noun, lemma ‘porte’, the other incorrectly as a verb, lemma ‘portir’. I don’t really hold it against the linguistics code we use… it’s rather that we are feeding it sentence fragments, with no punctuation, so it struggles. Youtube doesn’t break up stuff into nice subtitles, it’s just a goop of words grouped by some crude algorithm. I wanted to have a go at recombining the goop into nice subtitles myself, would need some clever machine learning stuff, haven’t had time to work on it yet. However, youtube is now grouping translations into bigger subtitle blocks, so regrouping also means we need to create new machine translations. :confused:

I know. I meant something different. Like when a subtitle track would be labeled as English but it’s actually Dutch, or something similar to that situation.

Hmm, ok. Noted. :slight_smile:

DeepL is better in general, I think, for the languages it supports. But also pricey. We use Microsoft translate, which is decent and better value, and still about a third of income from subscriptions goes on machine translation API costs. We have something in the works though that may help.

P.S: Another idea, for starting to learn a new language from scratch using your extension, it would be pretty damn cool, if you could auto-mark (highlight) the first 1000 (up to 3000) most common words to the user, so he would know what to focus on and not get lost in the sea of it. I think you guys might have already implemented such or similar feature in one of your first releases, if i’m not mistaken.

I added the backend code for this feature over the last few days. We used to have this feature, it got taken out during a heavy refactor. So, the way it will work is you set your level in settings (1000, 2000, 3000 words etc.), and the program will color words above that level (that aren’t already saved) as… purple… for example. (We used to grey them out actually.) Maybe it could be a bit more smart, and would auto-adjust the level so that a certain percent of words are ‘white’ (‘suggested to learn’) for each video. Haven’t really though about it seriously yet, I’ll make a new thread for that discussion.

1 Like

Hey. Filipino fix should be online in next couple of days.

Sorry for the late response. I didn’t add the support for the language code in the title, but will shortly. It’s not boring information at, it’s a really nice project.

The typing exercise, ok, I will keep this in mind. Personally, writing exercises a not a priority for me, as I realised I never write things appart from in English. If I’m late crossing the border out of Ukraine etc. and I need to write a ‘protocol’ with the police, they help me with my spelling. :slight_smile: Most of our users are Koreans, Turks, Taiwanese etc. learning English though, and it might be helpful for them.

Keeping a database of the words the student has been able to type without mistakes could be a fantastic way to predict which shows, episodes, or videos are “comprehensible” for you.

This is an interesting feature for Youtube, but we don’t have a database of videos/subtitles currently. Coming soon.

I can expose some of the stuff we use for word frequency, getting lemma etc., as a simple command-line tool, it might be helpful for your project.

1 Like

Sure, we can add these, what language pairs (and directions) are they good for?

Btw, you guys had a recent mention in a big Youtuber account of a German language teacher that I follow. She is a big deal.

Oh, nice.

There is a conflict in creating Youtube playlists while using the extension, because of keys reassignments by the extension, which prevents you from naming them properly.

Added to ‘known issues’

I’ll suggest adding a similar overall ‘watch time’ tracking to the extension. Tracking all the videos you ever watched, of course, would also be an awesome feature (reviewing old content you studied).

Interesting. Adding to ‘Considering.’

Esperanto

Added to ‘known issues’.

Font size preference is currently a global setting, which means that I keep needing to switch it back and forth. It would be convenient to save a different font size preference, per different script, or per language, and to adjust the default values as well for each new script for optimal viewing.

Added to ‘Considering’

There isn’t enough space for some words to display fully, in the sidebar, at the bottom of the line. (Arabic)

Added to known issues.

This issue ain’t unique to youtube though… I’m pretty sure it’s happening on Netflix too.

Morfix is a Hebrew —> English as well as the reverse order dictionary.
Milog is a Hebrew —> Hebrew monolingual dictionary
And Pealim is like a special verbs dictionary that gives translation in English, extracts the root and provides conjunction tables.

2 Likes

You’re right, it’s not just the subtitle grouping. Even with perfectly formed subtitles, the software can tag words wrong. We tag words into these categories using neural networks: https://universaldependencies.org/u/pos/index.html . Tagging is 90-98% accurate, depending on the language, this is ‘state of the art’ at the current time. How we combine these tags is a question, saving a unique item for every tag is probably too much. Actually I forget the exact logic used, but me and Og are about to figure out how to do highlighting for word frequency, so we’ll discuss that a bit now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We only set 2 sizes at the moment - we use the bigger one for some Asian languages and Arabic. I think Arabic would be a bit hard to read if we used the smaller size. Not sure though. Maybe if we adjusted Arabic font size a little, and made keyboard shortcuts (+/-) to change font size, this would be sufficient?

Do you still have the problem with some items being cut off for Arabic, could you check please?

This is how ‘normal’ size looks for me (hiding half the screen), and yes it’s still getting cut in the side panel.

I switch languages often, so it won’t help if the change is global and the relative difference between scripts is big. This setting should be able to be adjusted independently per script.

Just adjusting the default values won’t help either since what is too big for me would probably be too small for another user.

OK, thanks. What is the video url for the girl playing guitar?

Scroll up in this thread here: Youtube Extension - Now Online!

Hi! Um… I was wondering support would be possible for Yandex Translate. It provides transliterations for my target language (which is Hebrew), and I think it does for other languages too (it does for Japanese and Chinese, but not for Greek and Russian from what I’ve seen). It looks like this:

example

The translations themselves are a little weird, and the transliterations are sometimes erroneous, but it’s up to the reader to discern right from wrong. :smile:

Can you install this extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/whatfont/jabopobgcpjmedljpbcaablpmlmfcogm?hl=en

After installing, click on the extension button, and click on the Arabic text in the side panel. It should show something like this:

Let me know what font family (e.g. Roboto, Arial, sans-serif) and size (e.g. 19px) it shows for you.

Hey, I just realized that I had the Chrome extension Wudooh active, which its purpose is enlarging the Arabic font on websites. I completely forgot about its presence (i installed it a long time ago). :flushed:

I deactivated it now, and I think both issues are resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience and for wasting your time on that. I’ll let you know if any other issue persists after further testing.

You can mark these issues resolved for now. Sorry, again.

Edit: Without that extension active, the font size in the side panel is a bit too small. That extension made it much more legible (Arabic script is a bit difficult to read when the font size is too small, which is why I needed that extension in the first place).

Link to the extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wudooh-وضوح/nigfaloeeeakmmgndbdcijjegolpjfhn

Anyway, nothing too crucial.

Cool :slight_smile: Would be good to make it work with that extension too, but I use some special scrolling mechanism for side panel, so it’s not an easy fix.

I decreased main subs’ font size just slightly, and increased side panel font size for Arabic/Asian langs for the next version. There might be other small issues - font sizes are a bit tricky to get right, so if you notice anything else, let me know ofc.