Swapping Languages Around

Hi,

I’ve just started using LLN. I’m a native English-speaker, watching a film in German (my target language). However the LLN subtitles are in English, therefore, the opposite of what I need.

How do I change it to appear in German? I’ve checked and played with the settings, but I can’t make it work :frowning:

Thanks,
Loki

3 Likes

Hi. I recommend to choose a movie/series from this list:
http://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/catalogue.html#language=German&country=
(you also need to set your country at the top of that page, because not all Netlfix movies are available in all countries)

These are German movies/series, so the subtitles should match the audio when you watch in german. LLN should switch to the German audio and subtitles automatically, but if not, you should select them from the Netflix controls, like you usually do on Netflix.

Lastly, check the lln settings to make sure the translation language is set to English, so the German is translated to English for you to understand. :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

I second this request. It seems to me that you, David, are assuming that my language is available in that country. For me in Europe, that’s not the case with Mandarin.

So I watch with English audio and I’d like to read Chinese subtitles. Since Chinese is not available in Netflix for me, I have to select English subtitles which will be displayed at the top. Then I choose translation language Chinese (Machine translation, which is a pro feature). But now Chinese is displayed at the bottom and I cannot highlight the word I don’t understand.

I realize you might have had a different use case in mind when designing this. In case I am misusing your software I’d appreciate you telling me how I should use it. In case I’m doing it correct, I think this topic deserves more priority.

By the way, this topic and the pinyin topic Pinyin support for Chinese (Mandarin) subtitles? are keeping me from subscribing as both are pretty crucial to have a basic working system.

It would be pretty cool to be able to swap languages around without the plugin automatically changing it back to the default one some times (I think I was having to reconfigure it on every episode, very annoying!). I remember changing an animation to Japanese dubs and putting on japanese subtitles (the original audio was in English), and it was a bit of a struggle, not to mention the constant (!) next to the LLN icon for not using the native settings.

Yes, we currently set the Netflix subs and audio to the original language of the movie, when LLN is activated… this is because this is the probably the only tracks where the content will match each other, and not setting it will result in many users concluding that subs and audio just don’t match in general on Netflix… it’s not perfect… we could only switch to the default one time, when the user first opens a movie/series, I guess… that would be better.

1 Like

I watch children’s cartoons with my son so we can both learn Mandarin together. So when I set up the language settings the way I like them, I don’t want them to change at all. Right now I have to switch them back in a panic after every episode. If he figures out he can watch The Story Bots in English I’m screwed! If this is an easy thing to fix, it would be a game changer for me. You would have a subscriber for many, many years, he’s only 3 :slight_smile:

I just subscribed anyway, this is a great program David, keep up the good work! :slight_smile: :smiley: