Update! Learning Stages, Flashcards, All Words Panel, PhrasePump, API..

For me this looks good

after the update youtube with the extension on became very slow and buggy. can you please check this

For now, this bug has been resolved. Thanks, devs.

Hey. I took a week off, vacation, back now. Lots of issues to work on I see. :sweat_smile:

Some more highlighting options will be deployed +/-tomorrow to ‘production’. It allows you to decide for yourself what distinctions are important. Will get around to the video shortly.

You can try it here now, still fiddling with some details: (watch out, the dev site does modify your saved data currently)
Language Reactor - Settings

2 Likes

These changes are now live.

@sassysocks I’m asking Og to implement an option for a heavier tag underline.

@Ilya_Ilich these two are done:
– level setable to within 100 words
– setting to adjust ratio of ‘suggested’ (currently 1.75) and ‘rare words’

Custom colouring for words, I think we’ll get to that. Need to look some performance issues first.

@ash Words saved without context now have tatoeba examples added when exported.

@Stuart_M Rereading your message: you know you can right-click words to mark them known/learning? It’s long press on mobile. Maybe we’re missing a message. “words from an episode in a list” - we got that, it’s the ‘words’ tab in Netflix/Youtube.

@light Performance tune-up is next, long overdue.

I think the payment issues are finally undercontrol… fingers crossed (Please put examples like these in the docs · Issue #2 · PaddleHQ/php-subscriptions-basic · GitHub)

‘Pro’ features are currently free (for two weeks) btw. There will be a 3 month subscription option shortly, and Christmas discount from middle of the month until end of the year.

1 Like

Hey! I really enjoy using phrase pump, but I have a quick question. I noticed that some of the phrases that come up are actually from an anime I watched, even with screenshots of the scene attached, which is awesome. Unfortunately I’ve only seen this happen a handful of times, I feel like it doesn’t generate new ones anymore even though I am still watching anime and saving words. Any advice?

1 Like

Very nice changing, thank you.
But couldn’t you add speech speed control to Phrase Pump?

I’m benefitting immensely from PhrasePump too and I’m also interested in exactly Yannick’s question!

1 Like

Same! Here’s an example for those who haven’t seen it. I actually just realized that it also added a few of these when I watched this Chinese show. Does it generate these for sentences that I added to my favorites? (:star:) If so, which of those does it actually bring up in phrase pump? Only ones that include vocab that phrase pump wants me to learn right now?

I’m just really curious how it works, maybe a mod / admin can explain, thanks!

@Yannick Two kinds of items are reviewed in PhrasePump: ‘saved phrases’ (saved by starring) and ‘Marked Learning words’. A saved phrase is reviewed by showing it to you… as ‘Listening Practice’ or a ‘Quiz’… simple… a marked word is reviewed by either showing you 3 ‘randomish’ example sentences in ‘Listening Practice’, or a single Quiz, generally using the original sentence where you saved it as a test (if available). If you want more subs to show from shows you watch, star subs. Saving words in subs also means a Quiz will show (eventually) with that sub for that lemma. When there’s no items due for review, PhrasePump selects sentences from Tatoeba (‘extra practice’). You can star these too, if you find them interesting, they will be shown again. You can also ‘Mark Learning’ any word you see on the screen, on any card in Phrasepump, PhrasePump will schedule reviews for that lemma. Keeping a record of videos/texts you have watched recently, and picking ‘Listening Practice’ from there, is something I thought about, wouldn’t be too tricky, but, there’s no garantee it would be a nice usage/example sentence.
It’s pretty opaque for the user I guess. :melting_face:

@karim_karim I’ll get to it soon, sorry, still doing some code housekeeping, but, shouldn’t be any difficulty.

It occured to me how to increase the number of sentences available for languages with fewer example sentences using GPT and machine translation.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve been a user of the extension for a while but just subscribed. I really like the new features of marking words, because they force me to really look at the native subtitle and see which words I already understand and which ones I don’t. I’m now trying to mark everything as known/learning accordingly.

If I could offer a suggestion… I’m learning Korean, and with Korean being an agglutinative language, there are MANY variations of the same word. This causes the word frequency to not work as well as it should. My actual vocabulary level is around 6000. I now have it set to 8000 but there are still so many words marked in grey that I already know, and it’s mainly because it’s simply yet another conjugation of the same verb. Could it be an option to work with “word bases” instead of every possible form of a word? Or maybe have a vocabulary level that’s higher than 8000? Or another solution would be to be able to mark a word as known more quickly, cause now I have to click 2 times (clicking just once or using a keyboard shortcut would be really helpful!)

Another suggestion, though this has nothing to do with the new features, is to have an option to hide the CC subtitles between brackets. This would be a HUGE improvement for me.

Thanks for considering and thank you for all the hard work you’ve done on this extension. It has really been a huge help to me in my language learning journey :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for adding “base” words. The idea is similar in Hungarian with its various cases.

Good Afternoon!

Q: How do I change the vocabulary level/s for my target language of Arabic, please?
A: Found it.

And how do I turn off the ‘grayed out / do not learn’ feature, please? I want to choose which words I learn or do not learn in Arabic and other languages.

Thanks!

Since I never got a reply from the developers, and the current pro features are pretty much unusable in my situation, I cancelled my pro subscription. Let me know if anything changes, I guess.

I can’t find the flashcards at the pump thing only says the phrases aloud while the sentence is blurred (I can choose to unblur it), instead of quizzing me on them. Where are the flashcards?

does annyone how can i pay with ideal card. I dont have a credit card. can someone help me ?

@Freya
Hey, sorry. Korean is tricky, the saving system doesn’t work well, I looked at it a couple of years ago and remember not really being satisfied with either of the two possibilites. It needs attention, just a lot of things need attention…

@Nick_K
I’ll take a look at Hungarian, had the impression that it worked ok, although the NLP lemmatisation isn’t always correct.

@ Ayesha_Nicole
Check in settings:

@StarOverTheHorizon
A ‘test’ should show after you have reviewed an item twice as an ‘exposure’ (passive review). If you aren’t interested in passive reviews and want tests, uncheck the option here:

@Vezir_Tonyukuk_Omer
iDEAL should work at checkout, have another dig… :smiley:

Fixed an issue with word/card scheduling, see here:

I didn’t have time to actually use PhrasePump much (programming!), I don’t know if it’s scheduling stuff well. Will try to do something about this.

We did add some additional scheduling info here, partially for user convenience, partially to help me debug.

Current priority btw is: ChatGPT function, mobile app, improved TurtleTube catalogue, text mode library (Gutenburg etc.), (and other general improvements).a

2 Likes

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to sort the words in the word lists by TV show/episode? Or if that’s even possible? I’m trying to study words from a particular TV show I’m watching but I can’t figure out how to filter that so I can export the list without exporting all the words I’ve marked as “learning”.

Hi LR Team,

Could this post be put in the #news [News from the Team] Category?

This seems like the latest written update (the last one being [Release Notes] February 2022).

I was surprised to find this only in the “In English” Forum when I found it. I think it would help in understanding where the updates/development process is (in addition to the Feature TODO List and roadmap (continuously updated), if that is still active/actively updated. Though it seems—based on not being about to reply to the “Feature TODO List” and the last edit of the list being March 3, 2022—that this might not still be an active source of information).

Edit: Just realized that the Chat feature is here.. is actually technically the latest update on where LR is right now.

P.S. Love the app, and I hope to be able to use it for a long time! And I know ya’ll are a smaller team churning out lots of work, so please hang in there!

Thank you for your hard work!

Hi @LangAddict,

Currently, words/sentences can only be sorted by the Source (Youtube, Netflix, PhrasePump, etc.) and the tag [color] (green, yellow, red, blue), and “no tag,” and Learning Stage (Marked Known, Marked to Learn, and Don’t Learn).

No sorting by show/episode yet (crossing fingers for this feature in the future!).